Friday, March 6, 2020

Why We Moved to Princeton, Part III

It has not been an easy couple of weeks in some ways.   I am so discouraged about gaining weight so I tried fasting last week.After all it is Lent and time for prayer, almsgiving and fasting.    On Friday I fasted all day and then had a light supper of eggs, bacon and toast.  On Saturday, I ate breakfast and then fasted until we went to Olive Garden with Jeff and family.  I ate most of my Stuffed Chicken Marsala--probably too much cheese.  Sunday morning I felt bad--very bad.    I thought it might be the gall bladder acting up because that was where it hurt.  I know fasting is not good for gall bladder disease but I wanted to lose those pounds.  Well, I didn't lose more than one pound and I couldn't go to church or the AGO recital Sunday afternoon.

I still feel a little uneasy three days later but I have been thinking about the good things of last week and trying to be positive.   Wednesday we drove to Welsh Valley Middle School where we saw Once Upon a Mattress, Jasper's musical.  He was in the "castle crew" and we really could not find him on stage.  But we were responsible for bringing him home so we took him out to McDonald's for a milkshake and for our supper.   I thought what a privilege it was to be able to do that just with him.  He instigated a conversation with a query that I think it is best to record elsewhere but it was great fun! 

Then Saturday night Jeff, Susan and Michael joined us at Nassau Presbyterian Church for a jazz vesper service.  I loved joining my voice with Jeff's when the singer motioned us to sing along.   How nice to sing next to my son who had just turned 48 two days before.   It was a lovely service and a good way to enter into Lent.  The birthday dinner at Olive Garden was pleasant but left me with problems the next day. 

So let me remind myself to be thankful for the good things and tolerate the problems along the way.  I still need to lose those pounds but will have to do so in less dramatic ways.

1 comment: