Monday, November 22, 2021

SBL in San Antonio

Christmas on the 
Riverwalk
I was very hesitant to go with Jim to his annual Society of Biblical Literature convention this year.  Travel in a time of Covid had me very anxious.  Wearing a mask for hours in the airport and plane would be uncomfortable.  But Jim wanted me to go with him so I did. Fortunately our nonstop flight to Texas went very smoothly.  I wore a less effective mask but more comfortable than the usual KN95 one. 

We changed our flight home to a day earlier hoping to avoid the worst of the Thanksgiving traffic.  We are awake early and ready to go in a few hours.

The best part of being here was having meals with friends--former students and even friends from Jim's seminary days in Grand Rapids.  The worst part was trying to find healthy food in a "food desert" in a tourist downtown area.  We wanted some fruit for lunch--not a meal, just a snack.  We walked all over the area, even following our apple map for "groceries near me" but found nothing.  Sodas, coffee, even liquor--but no fruit.  We will try to eat better when we get home again!

Jim gave his presidential address to a good audience who chuckled at the appropriate places even while fully masked.  He ran the SBL business meeting from his laptop in our hotel room at 7:30 am yesterday.  At least I was dressed and out of sight in the bed across the room.  That went well without any technological problems.  There never are very many in attendance but those that were voted after unmuting.  He read the "necrology" and the list of awards.

I am contemplating how when you meet with friends you take on their joys and sorrows.  I am sad to hear of illnesses and deaths in families.  Covid has isolated us from others in so many ways.  I am thankful for the renewed connections of  the last few days.  

Once again, we will be glad to be home in our own apartment and in our own routines.  I hope that will be by suppertime tonight.

-------------After a long day of travel and a hectic Newark airport, we are glad to be home. I think this will be my last SBL convention unless it is a train ride away. -----------
Jim was given this obelisk to commemorate his year as president of the SBL. Naturally enough, it raised questions at the TSA checkpoint when it showed up in his suitcase. ---------------- One more addition to this blog. Jim got an email this morning (November 24) saying that his biography of RH CHarles--the subject of his presidential address--was accepted for publication by Oxford University Press!

No comments:

Post a Comment