Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Singing Again

 

Two years ago I mentioned in this blog that the first sign we had of life changing because of Covid was that Grace Notes Choir, the choir for seniors that I had joined, was cancelled.  They continued to meet via Zoom but I did not do so.  This month they began to meet again in person and yesterday afternoon I showed up masked and ready to sing again.

There were maybe ten of us instead of the twenty or so that met two years ago.  We spent an hour singing hymns that members had chosen as favorites.  We sang some oldies like "The Church in the Wildwood" and the spiritual "We are Climbing Jacob's Ladder" as well as some more traditional hymns from the Presbyterian hymnnal. We did not rehearse anthems as we did in the past and I assume there are no plans to lead worship services at nearby senior living centers. 

It was wonderful to sing with others again--to be able to sing my alto part harmonizing with the other voices.  I know that my faith needs music to be nourished and yesterday it was strengthened through the words we sang.  

I smiled but underneath my mask no one knew I was smiling unless my eyes were smiling too.  I am grateful for Noel Werner, our director, who has kept the group going through this pandemic season.  I am thankful for Kingston Presbyterian Church (about to celebrate its 300th birthday) who hosts the group in its basement.  I look forward to a few more biweekly sessions before the usual summer break. I am thankful for Jim who postponed his weekly golf date to drive me to the church because I have yet to take my maiden voyage alone in our new car. 

-----------Two weeks later--As much as I enjoyed singing two weeks ago, I did not go this afternoon.  I was feeling paranoid about singing in an enclosed space.  We are getting our second booster next Monday, April 18, and maybe then I will feel better about joining for the last meeting.  Also, good friends of ours here in Princeton who were very careful about Covid, got sick anyway.  So better to just stay home.  Jim was able to get a last minute tee-time so he is off trying his new clubs this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment