Sunday, April 19, 2020

Binge Reading

Some friends binge on TV series.  We don't have Netflix or Hulu  although we do have Amazon prime.    But we have yet to binge on videos.  However, in this season of social isolation and sheltering in place, I binged on a British mystery series Lord and Lady Hetheridge.

I got hooked when I saw an offer for Ice Blue for free or was it 99 cents?   The London location was fun with police procedurals featuring Scotland Yard.  Kate, the young detective, was pretty feisty and Tony, also known as Chief or guv or Lord Hetheridge, was kind and handsome and elegant.  A romance developed and it was the romance that lured me into buying the next four books for my Kindle app.  At this point, as was a foregone conclusion by the name of the series, Tony and Kate are married and they are Lord and Lady Hetheridge.   But the earlier issues continue as they care for Ritchie and Henry, Kate's brother and nephew, and deal with her mother and sister.   Then there is the sidekick Detective Deepal Bhar who has many skills but manages to get into trouble. And the nemesis at Scotland Yard Detective Jackson who in the last volume is beginning to redeem himself.  And the horrible villain Duncan Godington  who to my great relief meets his demise in Book Five so we don't have to deal with him in Book Six--I hope!

The books are billed as "cozy mysteries."  They are not.  The murders are pretty gruesome and Book Five ends with a hold your breath climax.   But the romance is sweet and the family issues realistic.

So each day I read one more book and then splurge on another $3.99 for the next volume.  Today it will be Book Six Blue Christmas and then I will have to wait for Emma Jameson to write Book Seven.   Meanwhile, I have been given the gift of hours of escape and entertainment during this time of Covid 19 staying at home and it has been fun.

-----------------
I found Emma Jameson on Facebook and there was an email for contacting her so I did to thank her for her help in givng me some fun this week.  This was her reply:

Thank you so much for letting me know you enjoyed the books. I really appreciate it. I'm working on Dr. Bones right now-- Friendship May Be Fatal--and then I'll be on to Hetheridge #7, which will probably be called Untrue Blue

Now I'll hop over and check out your blog. Have a lovely week, and be well!

---------------
So I am quite pleased that I have advance notice of the name of the next book! Plus glad that I could thank an author for her hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment