Thursday, January 28, 2021

FOMO Fear of Missing Out

FOMO is the acronym that exactly describes the way I feel these days.   


I was happy to see friends who were nurses and doctors post on Facebook that they had received the Covid vaccine.  There were photos of bare arms getting the shot with happy comments.   Then I began to see friends my age posting that they had received the vaccine.  And I wondered when it would be our turn.

Here in New Jersey we got email notice that we were in a priority group because we were over 65.  We checked the other conditions list because I have hypertension and Jim has had cancer--both conditions under control we think.   After a bit of time we got another email notice that we could make an appointment for the vaccine.

That's when we ran into trouble.  We were not familiar with the sites listed in MIddlesex County but when we tried for any one of them we were told they were not making appointments.   When we extended the mileage range and the date range, it did not help.  So we gave up.

We do have local friends who have had their vaccine but they live in Princeton itself and thus Mercer County, not Middlesex County.  I have noted on the Wall Street Journal website that both counties are high risk.  

So for now, it appears that there is nothing we can do to get the vaccine.  Last night, Dr. Barbara Edwards, a physician who sings in my church choir, said on our Zoom choir gathering, that we all had to be patient.  There would be more vaccines available in a month or so and more sites opening.  She said she felt as if she had to put some of her anxious patients on anti-depressants as they were so worried.  I understand the feeling!   I found her comments reassuring. 

 I read a Facebook post on a neighborhood site where someone else was having the same difficulties we were having getting an appointment even while trying every half hour.   I am not about to consume my life clicking on the DOH site every 30 minutes.  Yesterday, my friend Peggy and I had a good masked walk down the canal towpath and it was reassuring to know she is struggling with the same issues including the feeling that it is hard to think of good things we want to do when we are so limited to home.

We will just have to wait.  We will double our masks today when we go to CVS for our prescription refills because the new variant of Covid is supposed to be more contagious.  We will continue to stay out of places where people gather and go to stores as little as possible. We will not enjoy restaurant meals but maybe get another take-out meal this week.  I did go to the Princeton Library reserve shelf twice before they closed down again due to a staff member being positive for Covid. That concerns me but I was in and out and not near any staff members--well, not very near--I did speak to two of them probably from nearer than six feet.  

We don't have any travel plans.  I'd love to make a heart shaped cake with my dear grand-daughter Ruth who has told me she loves to bake special things with me and that I know good things to make. (I have maybe a total of three things I can do but I appreciate her perspective!) But if she goes to school, can we safely do that together?   Laura has asked us to have grandson Alex over in May when she takes the three older children on a trip.  We would be happy to have him, but would feel safer if we had the vaccine by then.  We have missed going to Florida this January for the first time in maybe five years.  I would love to go to Florida--even if it is April--but only if we get the vaccine.

So, patience has to be my key word.  And patience is not one of my virtues.  I like to make things happen and feel in control.  And that is impossible right now. 

-----------------February 5  I logged into the NJ-DOH site and put it yet another request for an appointment--saying within 50 miles as a parameter.  To my surprise, options appeared.  I quickly clicked on February 25 at 9:45 am at Gloucester County Megasite and went into the study to get Jim to sign up as well.  We went through the process together and he got an 11:15 am slot.  Now we have to find Gloucester County and its Megasite--I think at Rowan College.  We thought we would do a trial run sometime next week.  Progress!  I still think I will try CVS next Tuesday for an appointment closer to home.  I have downloaded their app and so should be able to contact them quickly if they have vaccines.  

No comments:

Post a Comment