Friday, January 29, 2021

Why do a Blog?

 I like reading Lithub which I get in my daily email listings.  Today's email quotes Anne Youngson, a novelist who published her debut novel at age 70.  She writes about writing in a time of the social isolation we all experience during this pandemic:

Much of what has been created to give purpose to lonely, empty hours will not be seen by future generations—the muffins eaten, the gardens remodeled or abandoned. Words on the page, though, have longevity. Like the bones of a transport infrastructure, they have the possibility of remaining visible and giving those who come later a view backwards to enrich their understanding of the present. (the reference to transport infrastructure is because her newest book is set in the canal system of the United Kingdom.)

I do have "lonely, empty hours." I don't write for publication except for my Blog2Print books of which I now have at least ten years worth.  These books are my treasures as they bring back memories of good times and not so good times.  Even memories of this past year fade-which may be a good thing.   Jim sat on the couch and read through the entire 2020 book when it arrived and said he enjoyed it.  I said that was because it was often about him--so of course, he enjoyed it!   

Nancy, my dear neighbor in South Bend, commented on the blog that my recollections of the January 6 "assault on the capitol" and the January 20 inauguration of Joseph Biden will be a documentation of our world and my life in it for our children and grandchildren.  Maybe they will have an interest in those memories.   One of them, the 14 year old, is very interested in genealogy. I wish that we had more written stories from our parents.  We treasure the ones we do have.

This morning Maggie, another dear friend living many miles from us,  emailed to say that she had just read my blog and was having similar issues getting a vaccine.  It was so good to hear from her and it is reassuring to me--as I think it was to her--that we are not alone in this dilemma.   

In the first years I was blogging, I was thinking through the options of changing jobs and eventually retiring.  It helped me to organize my thoughts and process decisions.  I don't publicize my blog as some do and have maybe ten regular readers. The blog is the public face of my thoughts; there are pages more in my private "therapy journal" and "spiritual journal."  Those are downloaded on my laptop and can be easily deleted.  Not everything needs to be shared! 

This makes two blog entries this week and a record number for one month.  Once again, I will use the word "unprecedented."  It has been an "unprecedented" month.  Do I dare hope that it will be a more normal year? 




No comments:

Post a Comment