Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Passwords and Pin Numbers

 By 11:30 am today,  I had been asked for my password or pin number three times.  

Early this morning,  while "doomscrolling," I was reading an article from the Wall Street Journal and it went behind the paywall.  We subscribe to the electronic version but when I tried to put in my password, I was told it was wrong.  I connected via Facebook (not sure if that is a bad idea!) and that password worked.  I finished reading the article.

Later I accessed my patient portal at the Women's Health Center to request a prescription refill.  Fortunately, the site remembered my password and I made my request.  

Then we went to the local PNC bank with a few issues for which we needed help.  Jim needed his PNC app downloaded after deleting it when we thought he might have been hacked.  I wanted to have my email added to our banking information in case something happened to Jim. And I didn't know what my debit card pin number was and couldn't find a record of it.  The assistant was very patient and helpful and I now have a new pin number.  I better write it down somewhere before I forget this one too.

I feel as if my life is too full of passwords and pin numbers.  I don't know how a password manager works but am not sure I trust that option.  I have a password that I probably use too often--but it always comes up as a "strong" one.  And I can remember it!  

Our parents never had this problem but also did not have the convenience of technology--requesting a prescription online, depositing checks with a phone app, and reading the news from anything but a local paper delivered at the door.  Sometimes I feel concerned about the need to keep our wits about us and not suffer from dementia.  Or are we already a bit at a loss from where we should be in 2021?  

I give credit to the assistant at PNC who was very patient with our requests and did not make us feel as if we were wasting her time at all.  And now I shall read a book  ordered from Amazon and downloaded on my Kindle app on my iphone.  


No comments:

Post a Comment