Monday, July 26, 2021

Friendship

A new book that I have seen advertised is called "You Gotta Have Girlfriends." For a while I have been contemplating a blog post on friendship and that title has nudged me to do so. 

 I have always been blessed with good "girlfriends."   I think of student housing days at Holden Green and the support of other student spouses--all young mothers like me.  I should recall that even before that when I went to childbirth classes in St. Andrews, Scotland and then graduated to the eight bed maternity ward at Craigtoun,  I had friends among the new mothers who were all struggling to adjust to our new roles in life. 

 There were good neighbors and fellow church members who became friends in Raleigh, North Carolina and another good friend from a YWCA post-natal exercise class who told me she sought me out because she knew this was my third child and I had survived! 

Later when we moved to South Bend, there was a group of us from our church who met for lunch and support as we cared for our mutual friend who had MS. 

 It has been difficult to have moved into a new community without children to help create bonds with others.  This year with our need for Covid distancing, it has been hard to meet people at our new church.  I have so much appreciated still being able to connect with the young women in the Bible Study zoom meeting from our church in South Bend many miles away.  And I chat fairly often with my friend Sue--someone I knew from college days and years later renewed our friendship in South Bend. She is no longer in South Bend either but we can chat on the phone and do email; I know she is always willing to be a listening ear. 

 Moving to Princeton has made it possible for us to reconnect with a family we knew from Raleigh days and that has been great. Our children grew up together and now we exchange grandchildren photos! 

 However I think that making new friends at our age is a rare privilege so I have been very grateful to have made one new friend since we moved to Princeton. When we visited Kingston Presbyterian Church soon after moving here, a lovely white-haired lady in a bright pink shirt greeted us. She was an official greeter that week. I thought immediately that she would be someone I would like--based on a first impression. As it turned out, someone told us that P had just moved to Barclay Square also and introduced us.  P gave me her phone number and soon afterwards we met for coffee in the 1900 Building, a community area.  As it was the middle of the contentious presidential campaign I sounded her out politically and was relieved to know that we thought alike! Since then we have gotten together at least every two weeks to walk down the canal path. I treated her for lunch on her birthday and later she gave me a thank you card that read "God has wonderful ways of letting us know He's up to something good in our lives. And so often, He does it through wonderful people like you." I treasure that card as I treasure our friendship! 

 Of course, I am thankful for the friendship of my husband and the companionship we have each day. But I am also thankful for my women friends and know they play an important role in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment