Saturday, January 1, 2022

The End of 2021

Our youngest
grandchild turned 2
I just didn't feel like writing yesterday.  I didn't feel up to a December 31 summarizing of the year.  Today is January 1 and I slept well last night and have a much better outlook.  We didn't even stay up to watch the new year come in.  I woke up at 12:40 but didn't want to wake up Jim to say "Happy New Year!"  

There are over 800,000 dead in the US from Covid over the last two years.  About 60% of us are fully vaccinated--far more Democrats than Republicans which is sad because vaccination has become politicized.  Heather Cox Richardson (I read her work daily) had a long post yesterday summarizing the year which was mostly positive although she writes regularly about the dangers to our democracy and the need for a Republican party that is conservative but not extremist and pro-Trump.    One commentator I read mentioned that it is the first January 1 in many years when there are no US troops fighting an active war.  The economy is in decent shape with our IRAs going up in value.  However inflation is a problem that we experience  when we go to McCaffrey's for our groceries.  I spent too much on beef and chicken this week but decided we can afford it and want to have some variety in our diet.  Eggs are inexpensive for some reason.  The organic milk I buy is costly but stays fresh longer and even 1% tastes rich to me.  

At this point last year we were concerned about a peaceful transition of presidential admistrations.  It was not peaceful with the frightening assault on the Capitol on January 6;  the whole story is still coming out bit by bit.  But we did get a new president even if some are still denying Biden's legitimate election.  President Biden has done good things in rejoining the international community and alleviating some poverty with grants for children and families.  I fear for the mid-term elections coming up in November and hope his initiatives will not be completely thwarted. 

A highlight of 2021 was Dan and Alex's wedding party on October 9 with all our family there--as was Thanksgiving hosted at their home in the Catskills.  I enjoyed our June trip to the Van Engen wedding party and Dan and Alex's home overnight.  Our seven week stay in South Bend was difficult at times but I find I look back at it with nostalgia--thinking of the excitement of the football games just a mile away across campus--and thinking of all the friends we were able to see.  I am proud of us for adjusting to what was not an ideal or comfortable living situation.  

Covid continues to be a factor in our lives.  We wear masks when we shop.  Stores seem to be stocked well again.  In the last week or so we invited the Moorheads over for coffee and our downstairs neighbors Erangi and Shihan (and Jenuk) over for happy hour--so we were able to be hospitable again.  We are watching live sports on TV.  We are not going to in person church services except when we were in South Bend.  We are hoping to travel to Florida after a year off from our annual January trips.   I wish I were not so uneasy about air travel and eating in restaurants there.  

I don't want to think too much about what 2022 could bring but will hope and pray for health and joy in our everyday living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment