Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas 2023

 

It's Christmas Day.  We can still look forward to a dinner at Jeff and Susan's home with all of our grandchildren plus a boyfriend plus a boyfriend's parents.  Is this a step in a relationship when it is time to meet the grandparents?

Saturday was our family party at the Conway's home with 17 of us.  I had settled on quilted vests from Land's End for everyone aged 12 and up and was very pleased to see that many of the group donned their vests immediately.  The chocolate letters are a tradition that always seems appreciated. Michael and Laura had a great dinner for us with beef tenderloin, mashed potatoes, and green beans.  Dan and Alex made a spinach salad and cookies.  And how happy we are that Susan is always willing to make her wonderful rolls!  H helped me put together a snow man brownie.  A highlight for me was our all joining in singing Christmas carols--from sacred ones to a vigorous The 12 Days of Christmas with Susan helping us all keep track of where we were.  Even little H could join in on Jingle Bells.  I took a video but I will joyfully keep the vision and sound in my memory.

Sunday was Christmas Eve.  We could have gone to church four times.   We settled on three livestream services. We did the Nassau Church 10 am service from home and then were happy we could do the Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church nativity pageant from home too.  R and A were readers and did their readings so well.  H was an adorble sheep peering over the rail overlooking the pulpit area. We saved our church's 9 pm Lessons and Carols for this morning while making banket.

Banket!  Two years ago I said never again, but for some reason I decided to try once more.  Now I say again no more!  Next year I order from VanderVeen's Dutch Store--ready-made, not pounds of almond paste. Rolling out the pastry, removing it from the parchment paper, sticky hands from the almond filling--what a mess!  I will give some to our neighbors downstairs and bring some along to the Princeton VKs and maybe one for Alonso, our former maintenance man who once asked me if I could make some for Halloween too!

I hope and pray that we have many more Christmases to celebrate together with our families.  I feel very thankful for this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment