Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Getting Ready to Travel

 Last year, I said it was our last trip to St. Pete Beach.   I pulled my suitcase through Newark Airport on our return home thinking it was my last time of air travel.  But I thought differently as the year went along and we made reservations for Sunrise Resort again.  And United Airlines reservations again.  It can't be as bad as last year--I hope--when they were opening a new terminal and were not prepared.  The weather is not good today or tomorrow but looks better for Thursday morning.  We plan to get an Uber to the Newark Hilton tomorrow evening so it will be an easy shuttle ride to the terminal the next morning.

So today it is a long list of things to do and people to contact.  Jim just got cash for the trip.  I contacted Sunrise Resort who said they had sent us the access codes but we have not received them.  So they are trying again.  One year we had a problem opening a lock box--but they don't use them any more.  But where is the errant email?  I asked them to send it again to Jim's email and my alternate gmail account. (update--we have the codes--hooray!)  Along the same lines,  my UHC health card had to be reiussued and was still in the mail.  Jim found a way to access it online and print it up.  But my laptop has yet to be connected to our printer.  I found a way to make a pdf and sent it to Jim who printed it up.  Now, we hope we won't need it but we are ready!  For our offspring and their offspring, this may all seem easy--but to us old-timers, we are very glad when technology works!

I am doing loads of laundry but will not start to pack until tomorrow.  I have downloaded books to read although that can be done at any time and from any place.  I have contacted our downstairs neighbor to let him know we will be gone.  I have canceled the weekend NYT.  We have both made sure we have enough  meds and eye drops.  I will distribute mine tonight so that I don't have to pack seven bottles of pills--ah, far too many but they do keep me in good health!  We are trying to use up the food in the refrigerator--and I've checked to see that eggs can keep for weeks so they don't have to be thrown out or eaten.  

We plan to bring our plants to Jeff and Susan's for watering while we are gone. 

United Airlines has recalled Max 9 planes to be inspected after a horrendous incident a few days ago when a door fell off a plane.  Supposedly they found loose screws on a few they inspected.   I am telling myself we are safer now than before the incident because they have checked for problems.  Even still, I try to put that image of the opening in the aircraft out of my mind.  And I don't know if we are flying a Max 9 plane or not.

We are renting the same condo (#512) as last year and it was lovely.  The bay view is wonderful at sunrise, all day long, at dusk and after nightfall.   Looking the other way, we can see the sunset across the busy boulevard between the hotels on the Gulf but it is the Bay that is most beautiful.  I am remembering Publix's Key Lime Pie and margaritas enjoyed with views of the Gulf or Bay and crab cake sandwiches. I hope I can post soon with an account of an easy and safe arrival.

----------uptdate on January 10  Because of the Max9 incident, our flight was canceled for tomorrow.  I jsut spent a lot of time on my app and on the phone and think I have successfully changed our flight to Friday.  Too many confirmation numbers and passwords!  But I did talk to two live people and they were helpful.  Alternatives were flying stand-by at 6 am or transferring in Houston or Cleveland--not exactly on the way to Florida.  

No comments:

Post a Comment