Friday, September 4, 2026

A Big Move Coming Soon!

 

I had been concerned about new neighbors moving in downstairs again—our 6th new neighbors in seven years.  We had been told by a friend that a single man with a dog had looked at the place.  We did not know if he took it.  We thought this complex had a no pets policy as it was when we moved in but that may have changed.  Eboni, our leasing agent, informed me that barking dogs and noisy children were what you could expect in a multifamily place.  

So I called Stonebridge and told them that we could put our names in for a two bedroom place not just the two bedroom plus a nook or den that we had specified.  Tara hinted that would move our name up.  And so it did.  We got the call yesterday and went in to look at Number 107. It was a lovely apartment with two bedrooms and a large dining area which we would split up for eating and Jim’s study.  It had a fireplace and a screened in patio and two bathrooms.  We have to accept it within a week.

I am overwhelmed with what has to be done and typical of me, lay awake thinking of it last night.  I made a list and eventually got some sleep.  I got to work this morning.  I made an appointment with our doctor to get his OK for breaking our lease due to my lack of mobility and also to have him fill out the form that says we are independent and can take care of ourselves.  Jim called our financial planner in South Bend and got money transferred for our deposit which will be due on Thursday. 

These payments are not small amounts, but this apartment is considerably less than the one we specified earlier—both as an initial fee and monthly fees.  So that is a plus. And we have the funds thank God.  Our man in South Bend kept telling us over the years to spend what we had and we really did spend for  everything we wanted or needed.  But now it is good to have the funds to buy into an expensive life style.

We made choices to get the life care option so we could move into more advanced care if needed.  We also chose the 80% refund to our estate when the time comes. Both of those options make the initial cost higher. 

I felt better after emptying out several drawers in the yellow bedroom desk and putting my mostly purged journals of many years in one of them.  Lots of medical and prescription information went into the recyclable container.  Travel information may need another look before I get rid of it.  No one seems to want our soprano and alto recorders.  That may go to Green Drop for another pickup time.  

I emailed church to see if they were still collecting winter coats as we have not worn our woolen dressy coats for several years.  No need to move them.  The beautiful red dress I bought at Loehman’s in Durham years ago and wore to the State Department banquet honoring Jeff with his Math Olympiad teammates—I hate to give it up but maybe a photo will do.  I haven’t worn it for years.  

We downsized seven years ago and don’t have as much to do this time.  And we won’t have to find new doctors and a dentist and a church and a library.  It’s all very scary but I am thinking of it as an adventure that we can thankfully do together at this point.  

No comments:

Post a Comment