Wednesday, September 30, 2026

The Last Time

 This is not going to be a morbid post in spite of the title.

Last week Wednesday we picked up a butternut squash in our CSA basket.  One week later, I finally got to googling a reminder on how to peel a butternut squash with ease.  I sat at the kitchen table and successfully peeled the squash.  Then I tried to cut it into pieces to make soup and it was too hard for me to get the knife through it.  So I will wait until Jim comes home from his golf game and ask him as my strong husband to do it for us.  I will make the soup and not throw away the squash.

But it is the last time.  When we move into Stonebridge, it would be foolish to sign up for CSA again next year.  And someone else will peel and cut up the squash if we have the seasonal butternut squash soup.  And I will not feel guilty about throwing out good food—or the potential for good food.

As I have fears about a whole new way of life, I have to remember the reasons we are making this big move.  So I don’t have to cut up butternut squash ever again!

No comments:

Post a Comment