Every day we make some progress toward a move to Stonebridge. We signed papers of application this morning with Francesca Fogg and we handed over application fees and a deposit on our apartment. After a little delay, the money was transferred into our account. (Although it says “pending.”) We saw a draft of the letter we will use to break our lease but that won’t be available until we get our medical forms filled out and the nurse at Stonebridge meets with us. So we don’t have a move-in date yet. We chose carpet for the bedrooms. We turned down the beautiful shelving and cabinets for now and can always add them later. I am thinking the black bookshelves we have in the hall here can line a wall in the living room and that solves the problem of how to get rid of them.
Byron Movers called this am and assured me they have availability in October yet. So I hope we can get one of those dates. But that cannot be settled until we get our medical forms completed along with the TB test and maybe other tests. I had an EKG in January and hope that will do. Jim has not had one for a while I think.
I set a goal of going through one shelf of books in the yellow bedroom each day. I found book after book that I loved and thought I might reread. I found only a very few that I put in the bag to donate to the library.
Then I made myself go through a box of work related files and files from classes I took over the years. That too was painful and I had to recycle papers that represented important information or lots of work at the time. Then there were the boxes of letters I had saved including heartfelt ones I sent to Jim when we were dating, the summer I was in Wheaton and he was in Kalamazoo. I kept them in their box and put it in the cedar chest.
I hear Jim going up and down the steps to the garage and think he has begun sorting through his books as to which ones he wants to keep and which ones he can give to seminary students or sell to the Brooklyn bookstore owner. I know he finds that painful too.
Yesterday I was in a panic mode as to what we could do with the large metal shelving in the garage. Eboni said we could not leave it there for the next tenant. Jeff said he could probably use it in their basement and could even put it in his van. Problem solved! I am relieved until the next problem pops up!
We had guests for supper last night and I thought that would be my last time for hosting a meal that I prepared. I fixed a delicious salad supper and it went over very well. I do not regret leaving that part of my life behind. Our guests said they were expert movers and would help in any way we needed. Just their reassurance was helpful!
No comments:
Post a Comment