Sunday, September 20, 2026

Downsizing Again

 Seven years ago when we moved to Princeton, we got rid of so much stuff.  Books, clothes, furniture, papers—much of it found good homes because we had time to get rid of it.  I had book give-aways at church and was happy to see friends leave with books I had once loved.  Jim gave many volumes to a Theological Book Network.  I gave old bridesmaids’ dresses to the school corporation’s costume shop.  The family that bought our house bought lots of furniture from us.  We told them to make us an offer and when they did, we told them it was too much.  We were happy to leave a lot behind and that they could use many large items. 

This morning I asked Jim whatever happened to the beautiful illuminated manuscript Bible we had from St. John’s Abbey.  It was an oversized volume and we can’t remember what Biblical book it was.   I hope we gave it to a good home.  I wish we had kept it!

And I remembered high heeled shoes I can no longer wear and purses I haven’t used for years; there is a box of memories from the growing up years of the offspring in the garage; I filled up another box for Green Drop to pick up.  There are so many pieces of artwork that I treasure but have never hung on the walls here.  So much stuff.  

————-I went through a container of pills in the closet and we now have a bag full of expired drugs to try to get rid of safely at Walgreen’s tomorrow. There are old toothpaste and toothbrushes from years of dental visits under the sink in the master bathroom.  

I looked in the closet in the yellow bedroom and saw six framed pieces of artwork from our offspring’s childhood.  They are treasures to me but I hope the artists themselves will claim what they did.  Not really sure who did what because they are unsigned. 

———Laura claimed one and Dan claimed another.  Progress!  

It will all get moved and then can still be sorted.  But right now it all seems overwhelming.  Maybe by Thanksgiving we will be all settled into our new home.  Maybe by Christmas!  And for that matter, where will the Christmas box of ornaments and lights be stored?  Not in a garage like it is now.  Maybe in the storage cage Stonebridge mentioned.  

————If you are reading this,  I think I need some some encouragement that we are doing the right thing.  

1 comment:

  1. Mary, I'm sorry this is so hard but I do understand. My husband and I went through this process with our parents several years ago. We finally convinced them it was a good idea and later on they said they wished they had done it sooner. One day and one packed box at a time! God bless you as you take this next step.

    ReplyDelete